British Standards Online (BSOL) have changed the way you download PDF documents of standards from their database. BSOL will no longer download and open files in your web browser.
Now, before you can download files from BSOL you must install the FileOpen plugin. Please choose the correct download from the website based on your device and operating system. You can also download FileOpen from Apps Anywhere.
If you are a student using a fixed computer in any of the buildings on campus, FileOpen has already been installed and you can skip this step.
You will also need to check that Adobe Acrobat Reader is downloaded onto your device to open and read PDFs. You can download a free version of this from their website.
Once you have successfully downloaded the FileOpen plugin on your device, how PDF files will open will depend on which browser you are using. Follow the guidance below for the web browser you are using:
1. Click 'download document' on the BSOL site.
2. A pop-up box will appear. Select 'Open with' and choose a PDF reader installed on your computer. A common PDF reader is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
3. Click 'OK' and the PDF should open.
1. Go into settings and scroll down to the privacy and security section
2. Click on 'Site settings'
3. Scroll down and click on 'PDF settings'
4. Ensure 'Download PDF file instead of automatically opening them in Chrome' is switched on
1. In Microsoft Edge, find the document you want on BSOL and click the download option in BSOL.
>2. A download pop-up box will open to the right of the address bar in Edge.
3. Hover over the name of the file you have just downloaded until you see a small folder icon appear to the right of the file name. Click this icon to open the download folder containing the PDF file.
4. When the folder is open, right click on the downloaded document and choose ‘Open with’ and then select ‘Adobe Acrobat’ from the menu that appears.
5. The file should now open in the Adobe Acrobat PDF application installed on your computer
Once the FileOpen plugin has been installed the PDF should automatically open in Adobe Reader.