- There are lots of different places to study to accommodate group, quiet and silent individual study.
- Some areas such as the ground floor and DMLL on the third floor are best suited to group work and informal study, where you can discuss your work with other students. There are also private group study rooms available for small groups to book. These are all equipped with IT and audio visual equipment.
- The second floor is a quiet floor, which is suited to quiet individual study.
- If you prefer to study in an area where there is no noise or distractions, the first floor is designated as a silent zone. There is also a silent room on the second floor.
- If you are a postgraduate student you can use the Postgraduate Reading Room in the basement of the Library. It is equipped with pcs, comfortable study areas, and facilities for preparing hot drinks. Lockers are also provided (keys available from the Welcome Desk on the Ground Floor).
- There is a Costa coffee pod and drinks machine in the DMLL on the third floor.
- There are combined printers, photocopiers and scanners available on each floor. All machines will copy in black and white A4, and in addition there are some machines that will copy in colour and A3 size. Payment for photocopying is made using your Phoenix card, which will be issued to you when you arrive. You will receive some free print credits which will automatically be credited to your account. If you wish to purchase more, you can do so via the IT Services webpage or the Library Reception Desk.
Photocopying/printing costs are:
- The Centre for Academic Writing is located just outside the library. They provide support for writing including essay, report and dissertation writing and can give guidance on grammar, structure, use of language and referencing. There is no charge for this service.
On this webpage you will find online guides and they also run one to one appointments and workshops on topics such as dissertation writing, reflective writing and writing a literature review.
- The Mathematics Support Centre (sigma)is based on the ground floor in the library. They provide an excellent free service to all students who use elements of maths and statistics for their coursework. To seek help you can drop in to the centre, book an appointment or attend one of the workshops.
- The IT Services Tech Bar is located on the ground floor in the library. The staff here will help you with general IT enquiries such as problems with passwords, email, printing and photocopying, connecting to the wireless network and the virtual learning environment.